Sunday, February 3, 2013

We Don't Take Our Democracy Lightly

We tend to believe that we live in a democracy.  But we live in a country that has a democratic action on the federal level once every 4 years.  Is there any wonder why we feel, and I don't care  where you are on the political spectrum, that the elected officials are not really acting in our best interests?  Who is it that our elected officials are listening to?  Not us. Not ordinary people.

The people who have the attention of the elected politicians are the very ones who seem to have the least frustration.  While we're clocking in at our jobs doing the exact same things we did yesterday, some people are busy at work writing or proposing legislation for our representatives to pass.

As far as I can tell, if what we've been doing is going to work everyday, we haven't been participating much in our democracy! 

Excuse me for my ignorance, I failed to remember that we do often choose between Coke or Pepsi and Burger King or McDonalds.  Like I said, we don't take our democracy lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment